TEMPORARY EMPLOYMENT ADVISOR
Contractuel • Chapleau Région
Michipicoten First Nation is a vibrant Ojibway First Nation community located on the white sands (north east shores) of Lake Superior. The registered population is approximately 1,230 with 70 members living on reserve. With a strong sense of community and cultural identity, Michipicoten First Nation strives to maintain harmony and balance with Mother Earth, neighbouring First Nations, and surrounding communities.
Reporting to the Manager, HR & Administrative Operations, with support and training provided by Anishinabek Education & Training Service (AETS), the Employment Advisor will provide guidance and support for Michipicoten citizens seeking employment opportunities and/or training. This is a temporary part-time role until March 2022. Remote work may be considered.
• Conduct one-on one interviews with Job Seekers - both on and off reserve Indigenous Citizens, to obtain employment history, educational background and career development goals and developing customized plans for their success
• Complete skills assessments and evaluations with clients to determine the interests, aptitudes, and abilities of clients
• Assist clients with, and deliver sessions on, Resume Development, Job Search, Career Planning, and Interview Skills
• Discuss suitable employment opportunities for clients
• Interpret program and funding criteria for clients and for potential sponsors, to ensure that the terms and conditions under which the proposals are developed are understood
• Promote and market employment and training programs in the region serviced
• Assess the need for additional assistance, such as rehabilitation, retraining, financial assistance and refer clients to the appropriate service providers
• Provide established workers with information on maintaining a job or moving within an organization, dealing with job dissatisfaction, or making a mid-career change.
• Work with employers including interviews, training, auditing, and assessment for an Indigenous Inclusive workforce.
• Liaise with employers to provide for an effective client transition into employment and working environments.
• Maintain regular communications and contact with AETS Employment Officer as required both for guidance and for collection of documentation and information.
• Maintain accurate client files and contracts
• Support the Labour Market Initiative (LMI) by contacting Michipicoten citizens to schedule appointments for survey completion
• Complete and submit weekly work plans and time sheets
• High School Grade 12 Diploma or equivalent
• Post-Secondary Diploma/Degree in related fields preferred
• Previous experience in an advisor role
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office including Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, and Outlook;
• Previous experience in working with First Nation clients
• The successful candidate will be required to complete a criminal reference check
TERM Part-time (24 hours per week)
Temporary until March 2022
Interested persons may submit their cover letter & resume as one document by email to Lisa Belanger firstname.lastname@example.org. This position will remain open until filled. Please include the job title in the email subject line.
Michipicoten First Nation may, at its discretion, waive any or all of the aforementioned requirements if a suitable candidate accepts to follow a training plan determined by Michipicoten First Nation as a condition of employment.
Michipicoten First Nation is dedicated to promoting equity and diversity and serving the interests of their citizens. The successful candidate will be primarily engaged in serving the interests of Michipicoten citizens and Michipicoten will give preference to citizens and Indigenous candidates who possess the necessary qualifications.