TEMPORARY EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT
Contractuel • Chapleau Région
Michipicoten First Nation is a vibrant Ojibway First Nation community located on the white sands (north east shores) of Lake Superior. The registered population is approximately 1,230 with 70 members living on reserve. With a strong sense of community and cultural identity, Michipicoten First Nation strives to maintain harmony and balance with Mother Earth, neighbouring First Nations, and surrounding communities.
We are seeking an organized, professional, and dynamic individual to fill the role of Temporary Executive Assistant. Reporting directly to the Chief and indirectly to the Executive Officer, the Executive Assistant is responsible for providing high-level administrative support, including incoming and outgoing document control to the Chief and Council and Committees, as well the senior management team and staff. The Executive Assistant will represent the Chief, Council, and organization professionally and confidentially while maintaining a good rapport with the community, citizens, advisors, stakeholders, partners, municipalities, government agencies, and all other organizations affiliated or associated with Michipicoten First Nation.
Some work outside of office hours will be required to participate in Council meetings.
This is a full-time, temporary maternity leave replacement until October 2022. The successful candidate must live within commuting distance to Michipicoten First Nation, or be willing to relocate to the area.
Administration & Communications
• Manages and Coordinates Chief and Council Calendar
• Participates as resource to the management team, takes notes and provides discussion summaries
• Communicates on behalf of Chief & Council, as directed
• Classifies, scans, sorts, files, and retrieves email, correspondence, and all Council documents as requested.
• Composes emails, correspondence, and administrative documents for Chief and Council
• Compose and coordinate communications from various Consultants and legal counsel
• Schedules zoom meetings and teleconferences
• Accepts other tasks as assigned by Chief or Executive Officer
• Provide administrative support when required.
• Research relevant information for projects and consultation requirements
• Liaise with Executive Officer or designate as necessary
Support for Council Meetings
• Acts as a resource on Council Policies and Procedures, Election Regulations and the Nation’s law and policies
• Attends, coordinates, and records all Council and committee meetings
• Develops agendas
• Coordinates catering and set-up for meetings
• Compiles meeting packages including, agenda, background info, research, draft motions/resolutions & BCRs
• Organizes documents that need to be signed
• Prepares attendance sheets and tracks meeting attendance.
• Distributes meeting packages to Chief & Council
• Ensures confidentiality of sensitive information
• Communicate Council’s directions to staff, consultants, and citizens
Event & Meeting Coordination
• Coordinates logistics of committee meetings, external meetings, conferences, and events, including Citizenship meetings in Sault Ste. Marie & Sudbury
• Coordinates and negotiates catering
• Coordinates meetings, travel, accommodations and honourariums for Chief & Council, staff and consultants
• Develops agenda
• Sends meeting invitations by phone, email, flyer
• Complete travel expense forms for Chief & Council and Staff
• Creates and distributes citizen communications materials
• Assists presenters, facilitators, and guests
• Registers meeting attendees
• Prints and organizes all materials for distribution
• Purchases office supplies, program supplies, gifts
Citizen Support for Ratification Votes
• Acts as a resource on ratification procedures
• Coordinates and moderates events
• Provides support for citizenship voting
• Assists citizens with registering to the MFN website
• Establishes voting polls)
• Explains to citizens how to vote
• Responds to citizens’ inquiries
• Administrative Assistant and (or) Business Administration Certificate or Diploma
• Minimum of five (5) years' executive level administrative experience
• Knowledge of standard administrative management practices and procedures
• Knowledge of business and management principles
• Highly proficient with MS office
• Knowledge of First Nations administration and management practices (asset)
TERM Full-time, Temporary until October 2022
To be determined based on qualifications and experience.
Interested persons may submit their cover letter & resume as one document by email to Lisa Belanger email@example.com. This position will remain open until filled. Please include the job title in the email subject line.
Michipicoten First Nation may, at its discretion, waive any or all of the aforementioned requirements if a suitable candidate accepts to follow a training plan determined by Michipicoten First Nation as a condition of employment.
Michipicoten First Nation is dedicated to promoting equity and diversity and serving the interests of their citizens. The successful candidate will be primarily engaged in serving the interests of Michipicoten citizens and Michipicoten will give preference to citizens and Indigenous candidates who possess the necessary qualifications.